In recent years, a large-scale program for the restoration of old buildings is carried out in Riga. And now in the historic center of the Latvian capital you can buy ready-to-live renewed apartment in the Art Nouveau style, which is inherent in the city. All these houses are now reconstructed with using the newest building technologies. Kempel House has become a good example of successful modernization of an old building.
Wide-scale reconstruction of the building has been completed in May 2013. Many significant alterations have saved unique ancient view of Kempel House and have turned the building into a modern and comfortable dwelling at the same time.
The reconstruction includes:
- foundation and supporting structures reinforcement;
- replacement of wooden ceilings with reinforced concrete ones;
- installation of new roof;
- restoration of the old-time facade;
- replacement of all utility services;
- installation of new elevators to all entrances;
- renewal of elements of stairways and access interior;
- installation of house autonomous gas heater with individual heat consumption counters;
- replacement of windows.
Due to renewal of engineering utilities and usage energy-saving technologies the overall utility payments have significantly decreased.
Nowadays Kempel House is a combination of extraordinary ancient external design and thought-out modern internal arrangement. The building houses residential apartments and offices.
About House of Kempel
- Wall material: bricks, brickwork thickness is 60 cm
- Partition walls: two layers of plasterboard 150 mm + 100 mm sound insulation
- Number of entrances: 3 (one is on the Akas Street, two are on the Gertrudes Street)
- Floors: 6 floors (Akas Street) and 7 floors (Gertrudes Street)